High MPG

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu May 7 05:51:35 GMT 1998

I never heard about any real difficulty getting the cylinders.  A couple
of guys on the Full-Sized Jeep list are running propane in Austrailia,
and they never mentioned having a hard time finding the cylinders.  Of
course, you can put a bigger cylinder in a Wagoneer.

As for here in North America, you can get them out of some junkyards
(according to a friend of mine in Mexico).  There are a lot of vehicles
running on propane in Mexico.  It's not only cheaper, but runs a lot
better and cleaner.  It runs better than the best gasoline.  If you
compare it to that *stuff* that is available down there, there is no
comparison.  I drove from Detroit to Chihuaua, Chihuaua, and on to
Guachochi, Chihuaua.  I thought my engine was malfunctioning.  I got a
decent tank of gas and it improved a lot.  Once I crossed the border, I
went to a station in El Paso and topped off my tank.  Instant
improvement.  It kept getting better as I continued to add more American
gasoline.

The next time I drive down there, I am going to either run propane or
install one heck of a mondo fuel filter and sediment bulb.  I had a
carburater then, but I have Holley Pro-Jection now.

Ray Drouillard

On Wed, 6 May 1998 15:24:01 +1000 (EST) danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
(Danny Barrett) writes:
>Around here, when you consider everything (including cylinder hire - you
>can't *buy* auto cylinders anymore, from what I've heard), you need to
do
>about 30,000 km (18,600 miles) per year to even break even - I only do
about
>10,000 to 15,000 km per year - a lot of good it would do me. However,
all of
>the taxi's use liquified petroleum gas, as they are doing well above
this
>figure...
>
>Danny Barrett.
>
>P.S.: it's been that long since I've looked at the price of fule down
here
>that I had forgotten that the price had gone down - in Tasmania, it's
now
>about 75 Aussy cents per litre for leaded (what my car currently
requires),
>and 73 cents per litre for unleaded. This equates to about $4.37 (US)
per US