map sensor replacement-2

Walter corsaro at brokersys.com
Fri May 8 04:39:20 GMT 1998

Orin Eman wrote:

> If you search the archives, you'll find posts about putting cans or whatever
> between the sensor and the manifold to smooth out the 'vacuum signal'.
> A few feet ain't no big deal.  I'd be more concerned about the vacuum
> hose getting squished en route.
>
> Now as to putting the brain in the trunk, that doesn't make much sense
> to me.  Makes all the wiring really long and more susceptable to
> noise.
>
> > The F3 box has a 6 foot vacuum line from the box to intake . They just
> > cal.out the error in the tables . Under the dash may be better or if the
> > unit is very big, mount the map sensor under the dash and feed the
> > voltage back to the cpu. Your way will work also. Have fun .

> > > <RAMBLING>
> > > there must be some loss with a hose this lenght ??
> > > i would prefer a intake mounted sensor with a wire the lenght of the
> > > car

> > > Alain

I have seen a modification made inside the ECU  that adds a
voltage (proportional to rate of change of throttle
position) to the output of the map sensor. This noticeably
improved the partial throttle response (0-30mph) of the car.
However I'm not sure if this was because of a delay involved
for the vaccuum pressures to get back as far as the trunk,
or just a poor fuel map in the eprom.
  Walter