Throttle Response Problems

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon May 11 14:29:24 GMT 1998

From: ABTSZ <ABTSZ at aol.com>
Subject: Throttle Response Problems

>I acquired a fuel-injection sytem from an '88 Chevy Berreta 2.8 V6 (730 MAP
>based system), and I put it on my Jag 4.2 straight six, using a manifold
and
>throttlebody from a later fuel injected Jag.  The injectors are 24# Ford
SVO
>(the original jag injectors were 20# low impedence, and not large enough
for
>my modified engine.)
>I eliminated everything from the harness except the MAP, TPS, water temp,
air
>temp, knock sensor, and DIS.  I have the P\N wire grounded.
>The car runs pretty well, EXCEPT for the throttle response.
>Has anybody else had similar problems?  Does anybody have any ideas as to
what
>could be causing this or any suggestions or work arounds?
>TIA,
>Adam

Intake tract, not restrictive enough.  You'd be surprized how little
the open area needs to be.  On a really healthy 350 CID SBC,
I wound up building a ring that was 6" in diam. that fit within .75"
of the air filter lid, for it to breath thru when using a low restriction
filter housing.  Bigger is not always better for EFI intake tracts.

Dedicated ground wire to MAP.  Make sure it's not picking up
RFI from a motor, or ignition source.

Tubing to MAP.  Mount the MAP as close as possible to the intake
manifold, with the shortest, smallest cross sectional hose as possible.

Make sure you don't have A+C switched at the MAP.   Make sure ya
got the right sensor, and not a baro..

Make sure fuel pressure changes with throttle opening.

6x24=144, or 288 HP for injector size.  4.2L. .  Think ya might be
too small in injector sizzin.  If ya could find a larger set to borrow,
and then run a lower fuel pressure.

Is the calibration ya got for the ecm the same type tranny.  Manual
tranny might like more TPS Accleration enrichment....

What kinda K/Pa ya got at idle?.  Initial timing?.

Temp of thermostat...

Modify IAT thru resistance, and ctc as PPF mentioned.

Hope that helps
Bruce