Pressure Sensor for Flow Bench

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Mon May 11 19:32:05 GMT 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998 13:27:42 -0400, Michael Kasimirsky
<mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Can you give me some pointers on books, etc. on how to build a flow
>bench.  I have a basic idea of  how they work, but unfortunately I don't
>have a bench I can open up and look inside of.  If you could point me to
>some references, I'd be most appreciative.  It seems to me that they
>should be a relatively simple device, but I'd like something to confirm
>my gut feelings.

Hey Michael.

I can just pass along to you the references I gathered from this very
list, the last time there was a flurry of interest in FB's.

First, there's a section in a really excellent book on porting, by the
famed autolizard David Vizard, "How to Build and Modify Chevrolet
Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Heads". ISBN 0-87938-547-2 He has a diagram of
a diy FB, but it's not a set of plans, per se. The book's a must-have,
tho.

Then, a pretty good "alternate perspective" book on same subject, by
John Dalton, "Practical Gas Flow". ISBN 1-899870-08-3

Also, a magazine article by Stephen Bogdan, "Go with the Flow: Build
your own Flow Bench...", found in Issue #7 of Mopar Tech Special, a
semi-annual magazine published by the editors of the monthly mag Mopar
Action, a rag of Harris Publications, NY, NY (212) 462-9543, if you
can't find it on the stands. (and no, I won't mail you a copy; just in
case anyone was thinkin of askin B)

Finally, there's some things to be learned about manometers, if you're
gonna go the conventional style FB, that can be found at:
	http://www.dwyer-inst.com/
You should order their catalog. Some good info and explanations in
there.

And last but not least, order an Operator's Manual for the SF-300/600
Flowbench, from SuperFlow:
	http://www.superflow.com
In the back is a wiring diagram that shows how the motors are stacked
and how many are used for which model.

BTW, the way I learned about Quadrant Scientific, is that in David
Vizard's book, he mentions a "flow bench computer program" available
from them for computing orifice sizes, flows from pressure drops across
said orifices, etc. So I called them explaining my interest, and got a
huge earfull from the Pres. on where QuadSci's gone since the days of
that book being written ('90). Do check these guys out:
	http://www.quadsci.com
and root about until you find their flow bench listing; it's kinda a
quirky web page design, but be persistent and you'll find your way
inside. Here's the trap door incase you get too frustrated.
	http://www.quadsci.com/products/engair/flwbnch/flwbnch.htm
but a look around the whole site is worthwhile, methinks.

Their benchtop 200cfm FB is VERY affordably priced, BTW, cuz it hooks to
a normal PC for all it's smarts and controls; so all you buy is the
blower box, with it's integral pressure & flow sensors. The motors are
controlled by the PC directly.

Thas all the poop I gots, dudes. That's the whole dump.

Gar