Holdens a little info

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Tue May 12 05:35:54 GMT 1998

>At 12:09  11/05/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>Actually, the normally aspirated 3L is the RB-30E, and the Turbo is the
>>RB-30ET. RB-30E has comp. ratio of 9:1, and the RB-30ET has comp. ratio of
>>7.5:1, so obviously, they have different heads. Even still, both have
>>problems with cracking heads, so you have to be careful not to everheat
>>them. Even still, I've heard of a RB-30ET getting 470 HP, and another (with
>>a little bit of nitrous) getting 670 HP. Not bad from a 3L engine...

>>>The nissan is an RB-30
>>>
>>>in both normally aspirated, and turbo configurations.....
>

>I have been informed that the heads were the same, although the VL turbo
>uses pistons with a deep dish...  but my engine builder may be mistaken...
>it wouldn't be the first time   :)

I got the comp. ratios from a "Gregory manual," so I assume they're correct.
However, I suppose they could use the same head, only, the non-turbo one
could be "planed down" in comparison to the turbo one. Of course, the turbo
head is red, while the normal one is grey (from memory - or perhaps black -
I haven't taken much notice).