Brake cooling

Matthew Harding mharding at qonline.com.au
Tue May 12 09:00:32 GMT 1998

>Here are some other ways to cool brakes:
>
>1. Thicker rotors.  More metal, more surface area to stop the car as well
>as dissipate the heat.
>2. Vented rotors (of course).
>3. Air ducts, most race cars have duct work all over the place.
>4. Caliper heat sinks, or larger calipers.
>5. Brake line coolers.  I saw one gent who had heat sink fins on the brake
>lines near the calipers.  I can't say for sure if that really helped or
>not, but he claimed it did.  This was in a dirt-style circle track car.
>6. Change wheel airflow. Its fairly easy to make or purchase wheel covers
>that have fins, which would suck in or discharge air while the wheel
>rotates, like a fan.  Its not as effective as a brake-oriented air-scoop,
>but its another solution.

The car I initially mentioned that requires this system runs in an
Australian class called 'Appendix J', this is a controlled class where the
brakes must stay with the components used at the time of manufacture...

ie.  DRUMS,   front and rear

as you can see, the suggestion's you have made (apart from ducting) are all
out of the question.

:)

The water is really the only option, so any help with a simple circuit to
trigger it would be appreciated....

after some thought we want to go with the original idea of a timer, that
measures how long the brake pedal is depressed, and switches on the water
pump for this same amount of time....  but we want to be able to adjust a
maximum time setting..  probably around 5 seconds.

can anyone help with the electronics?