How do I reduce ignition noise. (HELP!!)

James Paul jpfa at micro.ti.com
Tue May 12 16:42:54 GMT 1998

   Chris,

  A few things I can think of right away would be.....

  1) Put the micro and it's associated circuitry inside a metal box and ground
     the box.

  2) Try using a ferrite choke where the wires enter the box.  Just wrap the
     wires through the ferrite core a couple of times.  This should reduce
     RFI significantly.  By the way, RFI is the culprit.  It is generated
     because of the high tension spark discharge is so wide band, it covers
     most of the RF spectrum.  Just like lightning does to an AM radio.

  3) Use a low value resistor ( <2 ohms) shunted by a low value (.01 - .05 uF)
     capacitance in the power line to the microcontroller unit to aid isolation
     from the battery that also feeds the ignition system.

  4) Add a .1 to .5 uF capacitor between power and ground at the micro to
     aid in transient suppression.  You might want to add a 10 to 20 uF
     Tantalum cap here too in parallel with the .1 to .5 uF unit to aid
     transient suppression even more.

  5) Bring ALL ground leads to a common point to prevent Ground loop currents.

    Hope these suggestions help.  Let me know how you do on your project.

                                                     Regards,

                                                        Jim