three phase motors to steppers

bamcknig at postoffice.syspac.com bamcknig at postoffice.syspac.com
Wed May 13 19:14:48 GMT 1998

steve

Several years ago I was trying to use alternators for stepper
motors and variable speed motors.  I managed to get Don Lancaster  a
little interested and he wrote it up in one of his many columns.
One reply was from a guy using them to control a wood lathe.  He made
up a video of his work which was very well done.  I don't remember
what devices he was using, but the controller was physically large.
I have been waiting for some low voltage Hi current mosfets, but that
doesn't seem to be the way industry is going.   All the devices I am
familiar with are in the under 100 watt range, or are much higher
voltage.  The drivers have been around for ages, but getting them to
control some power seems to the problem.  At High voltage and high
prices, there seems to be a wealth of devices.  I seem to be twixt
and between.
I'm not sure how a three phase induction would work as a stepper.  My
immediate reaction would be to use it as a servo with feedback.  The
alternators were nice in that you could control both rotor
current,for torque, and your field for speed or position.
I ended up putting some steppers on my mill.
The 72 rpm slo-syns can be used as steppers if you don't want a lot
of speed.  They got gobs of torque and they are cheap.

This is all off the top of the head, if you want more details, I'll
look a little deeper.

Bob McKnight
Phx AZ