Modified Fuel Injection

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sun May 17 14:22:53 GMT 1998

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> small block vortecs can not use early manifolds, bolt patterns and
> angles way different.
> alex

For anybody interested, smallblock vortecs heads can be used
on early engines.  There are two options for intake
manifolds.  Use an intake gasket to mark bolt locations and
drill and the heads (this recommendation is from Chevrolet
performance parts catalogue), or the local speed shop tells
me Edelbrock makes a manifold for carb+ Vortec heads.
Exhaust manifolds bolt right on and coolant passages line up
correctly.  You'll need to use late style valve covers.

Also, the complete cylinder head can be gotten for something
around $210 brand new if you are in good with your parts
man.  Dealer cost is $167/head.  I expect I'll have a pair
within the next week or two, which I'll send to a machinist
to drill.

Shannen