4.3L TBI

Charles Morgan cmorgan at efn.org
Mon May 18 21:17:34 GMT 1998

At 06:23 PM 5/17/98 -0700, Rich Vandervoort wrote:
>I have a 4.3 TBI  GM v6 and would like to get more H.P. out of it as
>cheaply as possible.  So my current plan of attack is to increase the
>throttle body size and install a more aggressive camshaft.  Are the TBI
>units for the v8 truck engines similar with larger bore sizes?  Are
>there any camshafts that can be used with the balance shaft.  Does
>anyone have software to monitor the ALDL signals from this motor and
>change calibrations (94 Sonoma).  I am shying away from the CPI because
>it was never used with a manual transmission.

Rich, if you have a TBI engine, you don't have a balance shaft--it's only in
the CPI engines.  Camshafts are not interchangeable between these
engines--the TBI cam has a mechanical fuel pump eccentric but the CPI cam
does not (so length is different).  You can, however, put a CPI manifold on
a TBI engine and significantly improve HP.  Talk to Howell EFI
(www.howell-efi.com) or Fuel Injection Specialties (www.fuelinjection.com).

Charlie Morgan