Funky Conversion Questions

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed May 20 23:49:39 GMT 1998

>Current Status:  Engine is bolted to the tranny adapter, getting ready to do
>the wiring...

Kewl Conversion.  I've just finished making an adaptor to mate a Buick V6
to the same transaxle, which will reside in the mid-engine position.

>Question 1:  Is it worth going through the hassle of converting the stock
>engine short harness for use in this conversion or should I just go to
>someone like Painless?  They make a kit 60501 which fits the engine and
>serves its functions only.

If you have the engine compartment harness for your Camaro engine,
connecting everything to the ECM, use that.  Its certainly the easy way to
go, with only a few wires to the dash.  At least your engine will run
correctly first shot, though your gauges might be off (okay, they WILL be
off)   Also, you should purchase a Haynes manual (or Chiltons) for the
donor vehicle model and year, and get the wiring diagram for
troubleshooting later.  Its $20 well spent.

>Question 2:  I believe that the Audi VSS is a two pulse unit.  What
>additional specs do I need to know to correctly convert the signal for use
>with the GM ECU?

I haven't started this part of the conversion yet... (working on the frame
and intake manifold right now), however the the engine you have is
expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 pulses per mile.  The Audi
transaxle, if its the same 1986 5-speed manual I have, puts out 3750 pulses
per mile, assuming you have the stock size tires.  I wish I wrote the tire
size down off my friend's Audi 5000 turbo, as this is the car I attached a
frequency counter too.  Anyway, I'll be running larger diameter tires, so
making a conversion circuit would have been interesting.  What I plan to do
is graft the GM speed sensor to the Audi transaxle, or use magnets on one
of the axles, or an optical encoder.

>Question 3:  When bolting this engine to the stock Audi 016 tranny, do I
>need to fool the ECU in anyway since it came from an automatic car?

Aaah, you do have the same transaxle I have.  There are aftermarket PROMS
for that engine (and ones similar) to eliminate the automatic stuff in the
code, and the neutral/reverse switch should be pretty easy to fabricate.
Sorry I don't have a specific recomendation for a vendor, but there are
quite a few 'vette, camaro/transam sites around the internet.  I'd like to
keep in touch, and follow your progress.  I was worried I might shred my
Audi 016 transaxle with the Buick HP.  I imagine your vehicle would be an
excellent test :)

I'm also curious where you put your side-saddle radiator :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-