Questions about EGOR

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu May 21 05:01:07 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:
> OK, fine on the "features", that sounds good, but do you know what it's
> headroom on it's regulated 5.0V current budget IS? I thot not. Nobody
> does, so thas why I was pushing for running it off BAT+ if possible.
> [...] Don't
> add to your ECM's power budget unless you know WHAT it's power budget
> IS. That was my point.

Yup, you're right, there's not one milliamp of spare power available.
When I added a 50 to 100 mA load (*), the smoke pouring out of the power
supply must have made be hallucinate positive results.  (* (2732 or
27C64) + HM6116L + 82C50 + MAX232 + 74LS138 + 74LS10 + 74LS00.)

> [...] one
> has to pick a reference range for translating this current to voltage
> levels suitable for use.

Thought so.

> WHAT?, not so dude, if EGOR is supposed to supply a certain voltage
> output representing AFR, into a 1K load, it's EGOR's supply and output
> device that has to supply the current to make that happen. Back to
> basics.

The expert has spoken, EGOR's got to source 5 mA into an input which has
a 1K pullup.  Why, any beginning EE knows that when there is a 5V power
supply, and 1000 ohms, that there has to be 5 mA.  How could I have
learned otherwise.

> [...] the output curve for EGOR
> doesn't represent ANYTHING similar to an normal O2 sensor, and if you
> wanted to map it into a similar kinda output, you'd certainly be
> spending more than 4 or 5 bytes on storage, unless you were building a
> bang-bang controller, in which case WHY on earth would you use EGOR? You
> need to do your homework, dude.

I see the error of my ways, bootstrapping in small steps, or data
logging using existing facilities are stupid ideas.  We've got to
proceed directly towards a full blown system using that black hardwood
chip.

> IF you're gonna predicate your use of this sensor on the availability of
> a "mating wiring harness connector", again I'd say, why dontcha just
> PASS. When was the last time you found a "mating" OEM harness available
> for anywhere less than 10X the cost of the device.

Sorry, I haven't been to "auto stereo installer school".  I'd rather buy
a $100 plastic connector shell than twist bare wire ends together and
wrap them with Scotch tape.

> WHAT repair manual? Did you even BOTHER to check on availability of the
> HONDA OEM part no. I have posted now THREE bloody times to the group? I
> don't give a rat's ass if you CAN find one in a junk yard. That's YOUR
> problem, not EGOR's. Sheesh, I give you the stinking HONDA part no. and
> you're still whining? GEEZ, give me a brake. You wanna use this stuff,
> or just CARP about it not all being automagic to yer doorstep, and outta
> a junk yard to boot?

Wow, I leave a pointer to speed up other people's research, or to avoid
a wasted trip to the bone yard - and I get flamed in response!  So, if
you're looking in a Mitchell or Haynes manual, don't limit yourselves to
the "Honda Civic w/ D15Z1 (Federal) engine".  Feel free to look at the
"D15Z1 (California)" information - that trouble shooting section and
schematic with the 4-wire O2 sensor has got to be wrong.  And Gar, you
can even look in the Acura section.

> Care to
> share YOUR weath of information with the rest of the group? WHAT
> schematics? Control of the heater? First I've heard of that. Why is
> that, Lulu, if you have info to the contrary? POST IT! Don't just wave
> it in the air. We'd all love to see it, I'm sure.

I was going to type it in a _second_ time, but don't feel like that
anymore.  I revisited the library for another 5 minutes, and have one
thing to say:  I hope you all don't burn out too many of those $100
sensors.

               unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens     return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at cruzers.com            (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}