Funky Conversion Questions

Dupree, Robert A. rdupree at Sidley.com
Thu May 21 14:47:42 GMT 1998

You want to swap?  I'm game!  I saw the tranny that was pulled off the
engine.
Certainly would make my life easier.

Bob Dupree
	312-853-7487

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	kenkelly at lucent.com [mailto:kenkelly at lucent.com]
		Sent:	Wednesday, May 20, 1998 8:30 PM
		To:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
		Subject:	Re: Funky Conversion Questions

		Steve,
			Just saw that you have a 95 Camaro PCM programmed
for the 4L60E. I have a 95
		Camaro PCM from a 6 speed car. I was going to have GM
reprogram it. The PCM's
		are the same just a firmware difference. Where are you
located? Maybe we should
		swap.

			I made up a table showing the pinout of the four
major engine harness
		connectors. It has the Pin#, Color, function, and GM F-body
page reference for
		each pin. I also just got the Forward lamp harness, and I am
using it for the
		relay panel and connecors.

				Ken

		Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

		> >Current Status:  Engine is bolted to the tranny adapter,
getting ready to do
		> >the wiring...
		>
		> Kewl Conversion.  I've just finished making an adaptor to
mate a Buick V6
		> to the same transaxle, which will reside in the mid-engine
position.

		> >Question 1:  Is it worth going through the hassle of
converting the stock
		> >engine short harness for use in this conversion or should
I just go to
		> >someone like Painless?  They make a kit 60501 which fits
the engine and
		> >serves its functions only.
		>
		> If you have the engine compartment harness for your Camaro
engine,
		> connecting everything to the ECM, use that.  Its certainly
the easy way to
		> go, with only a few wires to the dash.  At least your
engine will run
		> correctly first shot, though your gauges might be off
(okay, they WILL be
		> off)   Also, you should purchase a Haynes manual (or
Chiltons) for the
		> donor vehicle model and year, and get the wiring diagram
for
		> troubleshooting later.  Its $20 well spent.
		>
		> >Question 2:  I believe that the Audi VSS is a two pulse
unit.  What
		> >additional specs do I need to know to correctly convert
the signal for use
		> >with the GM ECU?
		>
		> I haven't started this part of the conversion yet...
(working on the frame
		> and intake manifold right now), however the the engine you
have is
		> expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 pulses per
mile.  The Audi
		> transaxle, if its the same 1986 5-speed manual I have,
puts out 3750 pulses
		> per mile, assuming you have the stock size tires.  I wish
I wrote the tire
		> size down off my friend's Audi 5000 turbo, as this is the
car I attached a
		> frequency counter too.  Anyway, I'll be running larger
diameter tires, so
		> making a conversion circuit would have been interesting.
What I plan to do
		> is graft the GM speed sensor to the Audi transaxle, or use
magnets on one
		> of the axles, or an optical encoder.
		>
		> >Question 3:  When bolting this engine to the stock Audi
016 tranny, do I
		> >need to fool the ECU in anyway since it came from an
automatic car?

		> Aaah, you do have the same transaxle I have.  There are
aftermarket PROMS
		> for that engine (and ones similar) to eliminate the
automatic stuff in the
		> code, and the neutral/reverse switch should be pretty easy
to fabricate.
		> Sorry I don't have a specific recomendation for a vendor,
but there are
		> quite a few 'vette, camaro/transam sites around the
internet.  I'd like to
		> keep in touch, and follow your progress.  I was worried I
might shred my
		> Audi 016 transaxle with the Buick HP.  I imagine your
vehicle would be an