CDI - Oz Kits

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Fri May 22 02:12:52 GMT 1998

>I've seen/heard of all these pieces from previous posts, but I didn't
>realize they could all be used together. Is that correct? Nice if so.
>Base CDI module, and two additional ones to mimic both vacuum and
>centrifugal advance, is basically what you've described above. Is it so
>they are actually planned to be mated together?

>From what I've read/been told, the initial HEI ignition, and CDI ignition
were not designed for the control module, but... With the control module
being "invented," Jaycar (I don't know about the others) has modified the
design of both of their versions of the HEI, and CDI kits so that they will
be controlled by the control kit (they originally had built in advance
curves). As for the control module, it was originally a single linear
advance, but was then modified (at least in the Jaycar version) for a two
stage linear advance (like the advance of a mechanical dizzy). It also has a
single setting of vac advance (controlled by a switch that you connect
mechanically to your dizzy vac-motor). What was said about being able to
store two advance curves is true, as far as I can remember.

>Lemme see if I understand how these outfits in Oz work. The projects are
>published in Silicon Chip or Electronics Australia, and then DSE, or
>Jaycar, or RCSRadio does these kits up and sells them, so that they're
>all pretty much the same function, if kit'ed up by more than one
>company? Is that right?

Yep, sounds about right, but the kit sellers sometimes make their own little
modifications. Also, some use better quality components than others.

>Sources for cheap/quick eXperimental apparatus are important finds.
>Maybe you don't put that very thing in your system without mods, but
>having some bitsNpieces you can throw together for trials is very nice.
>
>Gar

Are you saying you want to import some of these little beauties???

Danny Barrett.