Dyno-Less tuning?

Thor Johnson thormj at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 02:36:40 GMT 1998

> >Brief recap... this is a 68hc11 EFI (fuel only) for a Honda
> >CBR600 motor.  All homemade stuff.
> >Calculates base PW based on MAP, all other sensors totally
> >ignored (incl RPM)... batch fired at #1 intake stroke.  How
> >important is RPM (considering I'm injecting 1/rev anyway)?
>
> It wouldn't be important at all if your volumetric efficiency remained
> constant at all speeds.  Of course, we know that this isn't the case.
> The amount of fuel injected needs to be reduced in the areas that have a
> low volumetric effieiency.  Generally, this means the low speeds where
> the cam overlap reduces volumetric effieiency, and the high speeds where
> there simply isn't enough time to gulp a cylinder full of air.

  How much does VE generally change on a high-performance engine like this?
  (1000-13500 RPM, 100HP rated)

> I bought a cheap used laptop to do my tuning.  It's an old 486 DX2 50
> (50/25).  With the Holley, I could actually go as primative as a 286.
> How primative can you go?  Maybe you can find someone with an old 386
> laptop that is gathering dust.

Gotta look.  My cheap laptop service agent wants $150 for the NiMH batteries.

> Do you have an automatic?  The torque converter makes a dandy static
> load.

Its a stick (stock xmission), but I'm intrigued.  Can you use the torque
converter outside of an auto-trans?

> I don't know what you are using as an ECU.  In the holley, there is a
> table that is used to specify extra enrichment when the throttle is
> suddenly opened.

How is the table organized?  Is it just a number or ?

> BTW, there is another table that specifies extra enrichment when the
> engine is colder.

... gonna worry about that next.... got all these sensors & dunno what to do
with them.

> I wrote some programs in Foxpro that I used to statistically anylize the
> data and use it to tune the engine.  If you want, I can send them to you.
>  You'll have to modify the code to use your data, though.

Definitely.  Couldja post it on the FTP, or you could email directly to me.
If thormj at iname.com doesn't work, thormj at earthlink.net will.

Muchas Gracias,
Thor Johnson
thormj at iname.com