ION and EGOR

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 22 05:17:28 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998 20:13:35 -0700, "max" <maxboost at earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Actually the early '90-95 300ZX used 1 O2 sensor per bank and the ecu
>treated it as two 3 cyl engines for mixture control.

OK, thanks Max. All I wanted was one example; you've given it. I wasn't
tryna say that I needed "proof" (not that you're suggesting that either;
just wantin to clarify why I posed the question) that such beasties
existed, since I think it makes excellent sense. Mix imbalance via
induction can commonly occur "per bank", and although I don't follow
cars as much as airplanes these days, I just "figured" there had to be a
dual exhaust, per bank ECU/O2 setup.

I asked the question primarily for our real "racing" buddies that DO
have duals, and are also likely to wanna manage fuel on a per-bank
basis. Makes good sense to me, and also pushes up the "demand" numbers
for the 4-cyl version of ION also. Just tryna get a lay of the land,
sotaspeak, since my aviation interests are more along those same lines.

This brings up another point I meant to mention during the discussion
about CDI maybe not being suitable for lean-burners, etc. Correct me if
I'm wrong, but aren't the guys most likely to wanna use ION at REAL high
rpm, say 6K+, likely to be those not interested in lean-burn per se?
MIND YOU, I'm NOT tryna start "camps" of people and their apps for ION,
but just wanting to point out for study purposes, that those chaps that
are interested in closed-loop mix control at WOT are NOT likely to be
concerned about fuel economy too much, and infact will probably be
wanting to be holding some tight reigns on keeping to a max-power-rich
mix. Yes?

Reason I bring this up, is to "tune" the taxonomy a tad. Pheeffttt.
Whew, whada mouthful. What I mean is, ION may be fine for those folks
not racing per se but interested in performance, and especially wanting
to avoid lower rpm detonation, especially in the case of punching it
with a turbo all spooled up and no place to go. Thus, ION and inductive
IGN may get along just fine. It seems the main problem with inductive
IGN and ION's ways is that *maybe* at real high rpm, she may not be able
to open her eyes in time to SEE the bad things she's supposed to report,
cuz the inductive spark duration is soooo long. So for those racing or
aviation applications, maybe a dual-redundant CDI system would be
appropriate, which would allow ION to detect detonation, even at those
high rpm/high load situations. OK if it doesn't work real well with
lean-burn or low idle. Not to worry; space is a big place, sotaspeak.

What I'm saying is that the peculiarities of this lady may not be all
that much of a problem, given the diff. application requirements.
Another way of putting it is, it seems the requirement for CDI to allow
ION to work is ONLY for those cases where you need to detect knock at
WOT and real high rpm. Hopefully nobody's planning on being in this
situation unless they're "flying", literally or figuratively. Heh.

Gar