ION and EGOR

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Sat May 23 03:48:13 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 1998 19:49:09 +1200, Mike Morrin <mikem at southern.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
> >>she may not be able
> >>to open her eyes in time to SEE the bad things she's supposed to report,
> >>cuz the inductive spark duration is soooo long.
> >
> >Why not clamp a suitable resistor across the primary of the coil a 100us
> >(or whatever) after the firing point, to quench the spark, and allow the
> >ION to open its eyes at a controlled time?
> >
> >In other words, shorten (under processor control) the inductive spark
> >duration to be long enough to light that fickle mixture, but not as long as
> >it would with the unloaded coil ringing.
> >
> >Food for thought?
>
> Yup, tiz an idea, and possibly never done cuz never was needed. It may
> indeed be possible to terminate the inductive duration and see NO bad
> effects at all. Good suggestion. And obviously, although the duration is
> long, still the bulk of the spark energy being pumped into the
> gas/plasma has GOT to be in the early part of the spark, and
> rapidly/exponentially-at-least diminishing as time goes forward.
>
> What I or someone else oughta do is get on the scope with a calibrated
> HV probe, and see just how long the duration is out to say 1000-2000V,
> where the spark could probably be nipped without untoward effects on
> combustion at all. Then if we use 400V for the measurement potential, we
> have a decent noise margin between the spark's last gasp, and the
> continued effect of the ionized plasma forced at the measurement
> voltage.
>
> Somethin to munch on, indeed.
>
> Gar

Get hold of a good automotive Scope. If you were not so far away there
is a good one sitting in the corner of my little brother's shop - works
fine but didn't handle EFI pulses etc, so he bought a new one. It will
go cheep, but wont't travel cheep!
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!