Crappy running TPI Engine...also, need stock runners

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Wed May 27 02:28:41 GMT 1998

Well, yes, it sounds like the ignition to me. I tend to think that in most
vehicles, the ignition leaves a bit to be desired, but anyway... Try
changing your spark leads/spark plugs. It isn't very expensive, and it's a
good idea to do it every now and then. Either this, or try cleaning the
plugs. Since No.s 1, 2, and 8 are in order, and these work fine, they may
(I'm only putting forward the possibility) have been in their various stages
of compression/power stroke when you switched off the car before putting it
into storage. This would stop any air from the exhaust/inlet from getting to
the plugs and rusting them up. I think your plugs have gone a bit rusty, and
they are not working properly. Also, it's a good idea to run an engine every
couple of weeks, at the very least, so it doesn't seize up (ie - become
rusty, and have bits start to lock together). You never know, you might need
an engine rebuild :-( .....

Anyway, as for holding the pressure in the injector rail when the engine is
stopped, you might need a new pressure regulator. If it has been in storage
for a while, the "bits" inside it might have deteriorartd, and this might be
the cause of your problem. On the other hand, it might be caused by a
"non-return" valve in the fuel line (wherever it might be - probably in the
fuel pump).

Danny Barrett.