Analog Gauges / Air-core meter

James Paul jpfa at micro.ti.com
Wed May 27 21:38:23 GMT 1998

 Jeff,

 I know a little about these 'air-core' meters.  I believe all of them have a
 turning range of 360 degrees, but due to pins on the instrument cluster panel,
 the ranges are limited to 1, 2, 3, or 4 quad movements.  Following are some
 examples.  Some are 90 degree range (Fuel guage, Temp guage, etc.), some are
 180 degree (Temp Guage, Oil Pressure Guage, etc), some are 270 degree
 (Tachometer, and some temp guages), and some are 360 degree (some Speedometers,
 etc).  And yes, there are two coils in these guages and when fed in
Quadrature,  (phased correctly), they turn.   As far as drivers are
concerned, I'm at a
 loss here.    I believe there are driver chips that are available to perform
 this function.  You possibly could use PWM from a micro to perform this
function also.  Regarding possible suppliers, I don't know of any so your
best  bet there is probably a junk yard as you indicated.   I know this
isn't exactly  what you  asked for, but I hope it helps you out nonetheless.