ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

T Hergen thergen at svn.net
Fri May 29 08:10:55 GMT 1998

An autotransformer (the auto has nothing to do with automotive) is one
that shares a common connection between the primary and secondary.  Using
an ohm meter, you'd find resistance bewteen any two terminals.

Since you mention the vortec, on mine, I tried measuring the resistance
between the high voltage terminal (to the distributor) and the case, but
didn't get any reading.  Assuming the coil is okay, this seems to indicate
that this coil doesn't use the metal frame as a ground.  Is this what
you'd expect?

Tom