ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 29 09:01:59 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 01:19:05 -0600, Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net>
wrote:

>And now a brief question, found only by those who bother to
>read an entire post.

Sheesh, whada consolation prize. B)  In software circles, this would be
refered to an "easter egg", wouldn't it?

>Will someone please give me a brief
>description of the difference between a transformer and an
>autotransformer?  (We could say that all transformers in
>cars are Auto transformers ; )

Well, since that question has already been answered by someone else, I
CAN tell you that the auto in autotransformer is used in the same sense
that it was used originally for automobile, as in "self-mobile". So an
autotransformer is one that is "self-transforming" in some sense. I
believe this refered to the original common use, which was to
step-up/down single phase AC line voltage, by making primary and
secondary pretty close to each other, and reverseable.

See, way more than you ever wanted to know! I remember grading a
undergrad EE's homework once, where he refered to these things as Otto
Transformers. Seems he musta had a dog named Otto or sumpin. Hee.

Gar