Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 29 17:38:37 GMT 1998

Hey Maties.

First thanks for all the suggestions and replys. Here's an update from
the coil research clearinghouse B). The external HEI coil sure looked
promising, it doth appear on the face to have the right number of
connections, but fails the metering test. The primary and secondary are
NOT separated as you'd expect. The internal HEI does indeed fit the
bill, but as I and others have remarked, man what a whopper, and not
real suited for practical mounting.

So unless we happen upon something at this late date, it looks like if I
wanna use a widely available auto part (yeah, the motorcycle parts sound
great, but just personally mindya, I wanna look for something I can
deploy on eXperimental aircraft that need parts replacement sources for
15-20yrs into the future, and so moto parts worry me a lil on that
score), then I might be shut up to using them wasteFire coils. Now I
have to look for some that don't use the spade terminal wongous, cuz
mounting them without their module bases using exposed spade terminals
doesn't give me the warmNfuzzies. I'm pretty sure such a beast is
available amonst the Big 3, so maybe it's no-worries time. I dunno. I
just don't understand why GM can't supply us with the coil of our
dreams; don't they know we've got over 400 members now! B)))

Gar