Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 29 20:10:10 GMT 1998

On Fri, 29 May 1998 13:07:10 +0000, steve ravet
<steve at sun4c409.imes.com> wrote:

>I didn't perform the metering test, but according to the schematic my
>external HEI coil is separated.  It has to be, because the HEI module
>switches the primary ground connection on and off to fire the coil.

Check yours will ya Steve. I asked my GM guys if this was the only
external HEI coil and they said yeah, there's just one. And it DOES
"look" like there are 4 separate terminals, but it's a ruse.

Think about your last sentence above there, tho. IF the common point
where primary and secondary is joined, is tied to +BAT like most
ordinary IGN systems, then yeah, the module grounds/ungrounds the OTHER
primary connection to fire the coil, but that doesn't necessitate the
secondary being free of the common connection to the primary, which gets
tied to +BAT. That's the way most ALL of the coils are wired in every
make.

Check it out with a meter, and phone home ET.

Gar