Gads Spark attack-decay + Dreams

Andrew W. Macfadyen am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Sat May 30 09:17:13 GMT 1998

I am new to this mailing list and this thread so I must first aplogise in case
I have missed something important.
>From what you have said about sensitivity to advance.I suspect that your engine
may produce a lot more power if the head was reworked to give more swirl in the
combustion chamber.
Going  back to basic theory;  spark advance is really a way of allowing the
engine time to burn its fuel. Ideally a petrol engine should burn all the
fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber as its pass over TDC if this were
possible it would be nearer an ideal constant volume cycle.   The time taken
for combustion is pretty constant  and can be translated in to crankshaft
degrees for a giving rotational speed but is effected by the ammount of mixing
and turbulence in the combustion chamber  ---- engines with a turbulent swirl
in the combustion chamber durring ignition burn fuel quickly and limmited by
pinking/knock  and other mechanical considerations.  Speed up the combustion
and you should need less advance and get more power with a reduction in
pinging.