Coils for ION ... still a bust somewhat

kenkelly at lucent.com kenkelly at lucent.com
Sun May 31 22:02:21 GMT 1998

ignition Coils can be run in two modes:

1) standard ignition saturates the core and uses a high current 12 volts source.
It requires a heavy iron core to store the spark energy in a magnetic field.

2) Same coil can be pulsed with 300 to 400 volts like CDI systems.

I think there reference to smaller coils is because you don't need the heavy
magnetic core in a coil designed only for 400 volt pulse use.

		Ken