GM Trouble codes, Help Please

Dave Hempstead dave_hempstead at hp.com
Mon Nov 2 14:47:22 GMT 1998

I've finally got my '96 Impala SS engine running (with 4L60E
trans).  It is controlled by a '95 Camaro PCM (to avoid the
OBD-II stuff).  It runs fairly well, but not nearly as smooth
as I'd expect.

I put a scanner on the ALDL and got the following codes:

26 Quad Driver Module 1 Fault
29 EAS Electrical Fault QDM
97 4k pulses/mile Fault QDM

These codes don't show up immediately, but after the engine has
been running for a short while (say 30 seconds).
I've got a list of the data/codes coming out of the PCM, but it
simply lists these codes.  I've got the complete diagnostic shop
manuals for the '96 engine, but they don't match the '95.  I've
read the manual for the scanner, but it doesn't help much.

My questions:

1.  What the heck is the EAS????  I can't find it documented
anywhere!

2.  Where can I find more info about Quad Data Module (QDM)
number 1?

3.  I'm suspicious about the Vehicle Speed Sensor.  The '95
wiring harness connector didn't mate with the VSS on the
'96 transmission.  I did wire them together without the plugs.
Are these different?

The only faults I've found so far with the engine are some
bad (fouled?) injectors.  This engine sat in my garage on a
pallet for one and a half years.  When I first fired it up it
barely ran.  I found 2 injectors weren't doing anything.  I might
have a couple more bad injectors, but at $66 a pop, I want to
be sure before I spend money on them.  Anyone know a way to
'repair' fouled/plugged/bad injectors????

I'm sure there are experts out there who know the differences
between the '95 and '96, and understand the details of these
codes.

The Snap-On scanner is going back to the shop I borrowed it from,
but I'm on my way to wiring up my own ALDL-to-PC circuit, and
the software to drive it, so I should have my own personal
scanner soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Dave Hempstead