MAF

Scot Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Tue Nov 3 02:53:22 GMT 1998

Thomas Martin wrote:

> I have a 91 Bonneville with the Series I 3800.  I would like to put the
> older larger MAF from a "3" or 3.8L V6 on my engine to increase
> airflow.

Are you worried about the MAF's restriction?  Or measurement ability?
The '3' engine was NA wasn't it?  That MAF probably has limited
measurement ability.  Never really looked at it's MAF tables.

> Eventually add a turbocharger.

Always fun.

> The MAF I have now is the Hitachi, and has a small 25 mm air passage.
> It has a small 10 mm (approx) port to sensor air for the MAF itself.
> Can I swap these units?

Not directly.  With MAF table and code mods you could.  Requires a lot
of understanding.

> What sort of output does the MAF has?

It is a high freq MAF.  With a range about 400 to 10k Hz or so. (From
memory...)  As I recall, the MAF tables max out at 170 gps.  Most all the
V-6 MAFs had similar peak airflows as I recall, except for the GN.

Scot Sealander    Sealand at clarityconnect.com