loud motor = happy motor?

am018 am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 09:25:45 GMT 1998

As a genral rule as taught to me by my grandfather who was setting
ignitions by ear at the start of this century an over advanced ignition
always sounds more powerfull -- this could be partially explained (I think)
by the fact that it will pick up revs more quickly when reved out of gear.
On few cars I have come across (Lotus Elans which had only 20 crank
degrees of mechanical advance)   retarded igntion has caused pinking ---- I
suspect due to hot spots forming from excess rejected heat.