PIC Questions

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:18:37 GMT 1998

It was written:
>For us novices, could you briefly explain what a PIC is exactly and
describe
>(manufacturer / model / part#) the board you mention.  Also a brief
>explanation of why you would prefer the PIC board to the HC11 (assuming
you
>could find an HC11 board).

PICs are made by Microchip Technologies, url = http://www.microchip.com
.  They are usually small cheap simple RISC-ish processors which include
onboard ram, timers, uarts, etc.  Not all models have all options.

Most PICs have no external address/data us, but are instead chock full
of i/o lines which can be used for all sorts of things.

I've been fooling with these critters for a couple of years, and I can
only summarize them by saying that "They are neat"!

For the beginner, the typical part to choose would be the 16C84 or
16F84.  These guys have some eeprom (64 bytes) on the inside and the
program memory is completely flash.  Typical home-style development
involves "crash and burn", where the chip is pulled from the target
board, reprogrammed (takes about 20 secs) and reinserted for a try.
This part also has an on-board timer, interrupts, watchdog, low power
sleep mode, 13 i/o lines (any combo of input/output), anti-pilfer code
protection, in-circuit programming and other stuff like that.

The assembly language is a bit cryptic, but not bad for a person already
experienced in that particular art.  All instructions (except for
branches) execute in exactly 1 clock cycle.  "C" and/or BASIC
development systems are available but I don't know where.  You can clock
the little beggars up to (I think) 10-20 Megahertz.  Not bad for a $6
part!  Digikey sell them too.

Anyone out there using any decent in-circuit emulators, other than
microchip's $3000 Pro-Mate system?  I'm looking for something to help me
develop for other non-flash parts, and I hate the UV-erase technique...
There was some sort of ICE-PIC box - which would supposedly let you
program and run in-circuit at realtime clock rates.  Anyone seen or
using one of these systems?

Of course the Atmel AVRs are rather equivalent and fully flash... :)

Thanks.
-Bill