O2 sensors at WOT?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Nov 4 03:18:01 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Conlon <synchris at ricochet.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, November 03, 1998 10:03 PM
Subject: RE: O2 sensors at WOT?

>> > man's gas analyzer could be constructed using one heated (to measure
O2)
>> > and one unheated to measure hydrocarbons, etc???
>> No.  What the report said (I read it) was that NO O2 sensor senses O2
>> at the temperatures that they operate at.  They sense hydrocarbons
>> only.  The temperature required for them to sense O2 was much higher
>> than the O2 sensor in a normal exhaust stream was supposed to be
>
>I had always heard, but never tested, that the O2 sensor reads *lean*
>under conditions of a rich misfire, due to lots of O2 in the exhaust.
>Sounds like this would be an easy test to see if the O2 sensor is
>really responding to O2 or HC. Comments? Maybe I need to go yank off
>a plug wire...

I'd suggest a good going over the archives, there are several reports
and documents all with slightly different takes on the situations.
>From CARB_EPA_SAE all have points and counter points.
Some of the older documents don't even mention thermally compensated
sensors.  Then are you all talking about just the
switch type, and or the wide ratio.  Also is the way the sensors
react to different gases as they heat up
Cheers
Bruce