[Fwd: [M] [M} IC Thermodynamics]- Part 3

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Thu Nov 5 04:58:37 GMT 1998

Dave Williams wrote:

> -> Propane is not an explosive???  Go back to elementary school young
> -> man.  Or, at least back to basic Jr.  High chemistry!  Propane IS an
> -> explosive.  My proof is the 4200 lb van sitting in my driveway that
> -> runs on the stuff.  If you are still not convinced, turn on the gas
> -> (propane) to your barbecue for a few seconds, lean over the grill,
> -> and light a match underneath it.  You should then be able to witness
> -> firsthand whether or not Propane is explosive.
>
>  Proof?  All your demonstration proves is that propane is flammable.
>
>  Look up the difference between "flammable" and "explosive."  There is a
> difference.
>
> ==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
> I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
> my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
> =================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm

Propane if flammable. A propane/air mixture, in the right ratio, at the
right pressure, is explosive (will detonate without benefit of further
input)
Let's put this definition crap to bed - ALL motor fuels are CONSIDERED
to be explosive. The difference in effect between explosive and highly
flammable, when in anything close to a closed container, cannot be
measured by it's victims. The difference is not appreciated by it's
survivors either.
Anyone who has seen a blower explode, or even a crancase (oil pan,
rocker covers, and timing case buckled, seals blown out, gaskets gone,
and dipsticks through ceilings and built-up roofs) when someone who
believes oil vapour is not an explosive tries to weld a leaky oil pan,
will change their minds REAL quick. I've seen it. Don't want to see it
again.