No sumcheck code in a '95 MEMCAL

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu Nov 5 05:36:46 GMT 1998

I've been disassembling a MEMCAL from 1995.  It's BCC BKLL1692, used in
the 16196401 ECM.  It's for a W-body with the VIN X 3.4 SFI DOHC
engine.  The 32K byte EPROM (27C256) has the standard 9 byte P4 header,
but the sumcheck field doesn't match the computed sumcheck.  Further,
the program code does not contain a sumchecking subroutine!

Has anyone else found a MEMCAL like this?  Could this be in preperation
for OBD II?  (This MEMCAL&ECM are just OBD I.)