[Fwd: [M] [M} IC Thermodynamics]- Part 3

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Nov 5 14:24:15 GMT 1998

>>Some points:
>>1) The BATF does not consider either propane nor gasoline as an
>>explosive.
>>
>>2) Propane has LESS energy per lb or by volume than gasoline does.
>
>Yes, but 1 gallon of gasoline vaporized in the Houston Astrodome and mixed
>completely with the air within will detonate with the explosive force of 20
>Kilotons of TNT (Same as the A bomb used on Hiroshima).
>BATF doesn't have to consider it an explosive for it to explode!

Get real!!!

First of all, one gallon of gasoline (6.16 lbs., plus or minus, depending
on the blend and temperature) vaporized and mixed (completely) with the air
in the Astrodome would yield a mizture so far below the lean flammable
limit for a gasoline / air mixture that it is a joke. You would not be
likely to even smell the gasoline! You only need a cube of (sea level,
standard temp) air 10 feet 6 inches on a side to make a stoich mixture with
one gallon of gasoline. I dunno the volume of the 'Dome, but you might
(although I seriously doubt it) be getting into the ballpark ('scuse the
pun) with your  numbers if you had enough gasoline to get a stoich mixture
inside the entire place!! ( Prolly  several tanker trucks full, but at 25
tons or so per truck, you would be talking about 800 truckloads or more to
get to 25 Kilotons ! (Dunno know the heat of combustion of TNT either!)
This is what is so neat about E=Mc2!

Regards, Greg