chevy engines

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Nov 6 00:05:43 GMT 1998

>Hi
>
>I know this aint strictly efi but you will know the answers, as it
>concerns an American vehicle and I am from the UK..
>
>I have a 1976 Pontiac Firebird with a 350 CI engine, is this engine GM
>or Chevy?
>
>How can  you tell the difference between the two engines, I was told
>Pontiac used Chevy engines in some Firebirds but when or in what models
>I dont know.
>
>Is there also any obvious differences between the 350, 400 & 450! ?.

It is either a Poncho (Pontiac) or Chevy or (slight possibility) Olds 350.
The Poncho and the Olds are both much bulkier engines than the Chevy. The
exhaust manifold faces on both the Olds and Poncho are nearly at right
angles to the bolck deck surface, the same face on the Chevy heads is
angled in toward the outer edge of the valve cover, so that the exhaust
manifold flange surfaces are nearly vertical when the engine is sitting in
the car. The surfaces at the front and back of the intake manifold where
the manifold seals against the block to close in the valley are flat
(horizontal on the Chevy. One of those sealing surfaces is lopped off at a
funny angle on the Poncho.

Hope this helps. Please see my post from a bit earlier today about looking
for contact info for Zytek (I believe located in Birmingham, UK) ---TIA

Regards, Greg