Oxy sensor location ?

soren soren at rio.com
Fri Nov 6 05:57:57 GMT 1998

>I'm fitting a (heated) oxy sensor to my car which has an extractor exhaust
>system.  The engine is a Nissan L6 and the extractors are of the 6 into 2
>into 1 type.  There is a flange attachment to the remainder of the exhaust
>system down near the front of the gearbox.     I've noticed that production
>cars with cast iron manifolds have the oxy sensor quite close to the head.
>I would much rather put mine in the exhaust system just after flange, since
>then I don't have to go drilling holes in the extractors - which are
>coated.   Will the sensor still work properly if I do this ??, or should I
>try to put it as close to the head as possible ??

    The main reason for the oxygen sensors being close to the head on
production vehicles is to allow the sensor to reach the proper operating
temperature.  Normally I would recommend against relocating the O2 sensor
downstream in the exhaust, but if you are using a heated one, it may not be
a problem (example : many new models using a heated O2 sensor both before
and after the catalytic converter in order to monitor its effectiveness).

Soren