HEI Coil Wires

Robert Wilkinson rw at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 6 19:39:36 GMT 1998

>I apologize if this is a little off subject, but does anyone know the
>difference (if there is one) between an HEI coil with red and white wires
>and one with red and yellow wires?  I received my new MSD coil tonight
>and the wires do not match the car wires.  Referring to sales brochures,
>they all seem to list two coils (red & yellow and red & white).  One
>advertisement even states to insure that you order the correct one.
>Anyone know if there is in fact any difference.  PS:  MSD states they are
>the same!

I have a few excerpts from a shop manual that says that the different
coil types are to be matched to the pickup coil.... which also has two
versions.  I can't remember the relationship off the top of my head.  But
I think it said white and red wire coils should be matched to the pickup
coil with the brown connector.

I don't know why it said that, but I think your best bet would be to
exchange the coil for the proper one... or switch out your pickup coil.

FWIW, a stock tpi '86 camaro pickup coil is supposed to be matched to the
coil with red and white wires.

'86 Z28 357 DFI 6-speed
Robert Wilkinson
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~rw