GM Engine Sizes (was Chevy engines)

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Sun Nov 8 04:51:14 GMT 1998

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, David A. Cooley wrote:

> In the early 60's, GMC used both a 305 and 350 CI 90 deg. V6 that shared a
> block with the 305 and 350 V6 diesel counterparts. (Heads, crank, rods,
> pistons, cam and intake were different, as well as having an injection pump
> instead of distributor...).

This series started out as a V-6 gaspot and is 60 degrees. After they put
2 together to make a V-12 and converted some of the V-6s to diesel [the
wunnerfull Toroflow or Toroflush etc.] GM seemed to be rooting around for
something else creative to do with it, thus the V-8 which is also a 60
degree block. Thus GM makes V-6s that are 90 degree V-8 blocks cut short
and V-8s that are 60 degree V-6 blocks with 2 holes grafted on. Oh yeah,
then they converted the V-8 to Diesel. The crank loved it...I guess the
same dudes then worked on the development of the 5.7 Olds [aka five
point blam] diesel. Similar good stuff was done at Detroit Diesel when
they converted the 71 series into the 92 series. What happens when the
bean counters are in charge...