GM Engine Sizes (was Chevy engines)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Nov 8 15:05:16 GMT 1998

>David A. Cooley wrote:

>> >The GMC truck V-6, V-8 and V-12 gas and diesel engines were all 60 degree
>> >blocks and thus shared nothing from the 348-409 engines.
>> >

>> In the early 60's, GMC used both a 305 and 350 CI 90 deg. V6 that shared a
>> block with the 305 and 350 V6 diesel counterparts. (Heads, crank, rods,
>> pistons, cam and intake were different, as well as having an injection pump
>> instead of distributor...).  This was a very torquey engine... My dad had
>> the 305 in his 63 GMC pickup... you could dump the clutch at idle in 4th
>> gear and it wouldn't kill the motor... it would chirp the tires and start
>> moving!
>> Later,
>> Dave
>
>I'd like to see one with 20 lbs boost... the block/crank/heads look like they
>could handle it ...A torque monster.    Tom

Nahhhh- what you want Tom is a 702 V-12 (two 351 V-6's on a common block)
with that much boost---we all know you're like that!! Yeah--I admit it--I
thought about looking for one before I started on my 605 IH project--and I
admit, had I known they were 60 degree units, rather than 90 degree, I
might have gone that way!!

A pair of those would be quite the thing in a big old Chris Craft!!!!---Hee hee!

Regards, Greg