GM Engine Sizes (was Chevy engines)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Nov 8 15:19:29 GMT 1998

>On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, David A. Cooley wrote:
>

>> In the early 60's, GMC used both a 305 and 350 CI 90 deg. V6 that shared a
>> block with the 305 and 350 V6 diesel counterparts. (Heads, crank, rods,
>> pistons, cam and intake were different, as well as having an injection pump
>> instead of distributor...).
>
>This series started out as a V-6 gaspot and is 60 degrees. After they put
>2 together to make a V-12 and converted some of the V-6s to diesel [the
>wunnerfull Toroflow or Toroflush etc.] GM seemed to be rooting around for
>something else creative to do with it, thus the V-8 which is also a 60
>degree block. Thus GM makes V-6s that are 90 degree V-8 blocks cut short
>and V-8s that are 60 degree V-6 blocks with 2 holes grafted on. Oh yeah,
>then they converted the V-8 to Diesel. The crank loved it...I guess the
>same dudes then worked on the development of the 5.7 Olds [aka five
>point blam] diesel. Similar good stuff was done at Detroit Diesel when
>they converted the 71 series into the 92 series.

What happens when the
>bean counters are in charge...

AMEN!!

But the GMC V-6's and V-12's were good, tough, torquey, durable motors in
SI form--just goes to show that good gas motors do not usually make good
diesels. See also IH's 537-605 derived DV-551. But, for the exception that
proves the rule--try IH's 404-446 spark motor, which morphed into the
6.9-7.3 V-8 diesel!
One of the reasons why one of my next projects is gonna be to see how much
boost a 446 will take!!

Regards, Greg