1982 ECM Rom type????????

Jake Sternberg chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 9 03:41:23 GMT 1998

Hi all, i'm very confused:

I have everything from a 1982 camaro with crossfire injection.

the ECM has a chip in it which is 24 pins, shaped just like a
2732 EPROM.  That's what i thought it was.  I have the original
chip and a Hypertech chip for this application.  Both have been
used in this setup before it was removed from the camaro.

Neither of these chips will give me anything in my ROM burner.
I have a MCT rom burner only about a few years old, and it's set
to 2732 ROMs.  I tried 2716 and 2764 but got the same result:
all FFs as though there were no chip plugged in.  I put in some
known good 2732s in there and they read properly over and over
again.

There must be something fundamental that i'm missing.  The hypertech
chip says 82S181 on it under the label, but i couldn't see what else
it says under there.  What am i missing?

This ECM uses an external ESC/knock box and has the circuitboard-edge
style connections. It's from 1982.  What are these chips?

Thanks all,
-jake