Ox sender actual function

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 9 15:07:38 GMT 1998

> However, I believe here I once not to long ago heard someone mention
> that an Oxygen sender in fact does not sense Oxygen as that would
> require higher heat than present in most exhausts. That actually the
> sender senses carbon particulate mater. What are the facts...

They work by molecular diffusion transport of O2 - ions in ZrO2
By exposing one side of ZrO2 to exh. and the other to O2 in air,
a voltage is generated based on the difference in concentration.
Higher temp. will provide faster transport and seperation of O2 -ions
in the Zr02 to make a higher voltage. Carbon particulate could clog up
the porus ceramic overcoating on the exhaust side of the ZrO2 or if
gets into the platinum electrodes could create a short.  ZrO2 does not
provide a transport mechanism for the carbon atom. There is alot of
publications on this, many High School and College Chemistry classes
now have sections on the O2 sensor.  I am in the Long Island area next
to Bertone Bros Racing, and Billy Mitchell Hard Core Racing, presently
work very infrequently in small volume certs.
alex