CarPROM software ???

rbraun at mail.enter.net rbraun at mail.enter.net
Tue Nov 10 13:24:40 GMT 1998

Here's a snip of some stuff I was saving on carprom, It's from a guy
who bought it, not sure what list it came from, but the gist is,  it
anit worth it.

Would it be proper neteiquite to leave the headers on this?

>begin quote>>>>>>>>>

Seriously, it's a very bad joke.  There is only one
screen and it's format is really simple.  The programmer
dropped the entire screen into what looks like 640x480
EGA graphics mode, then displays the raw data on the
screen. Each line on the screen represents a consecutive
byte of data in the prom. The height of the line
corresponds to the data value.. so the end result is a
screen that looks like a very bad wave form on an
oscilloscope.. kinda like watching the wave form of a
microphone at an AC-DC concert.

This is grade school programming and a disgrace to my
profession.

There is no information provided as to what the data
bytes correspond to. Not on the screen and not in the
manual.

So, unless the address information is on the installers
forum and I'm given access to that forum by Tuesday
morning, I'm sending the shit back and demanding a FULL
refund.  None of this "20% restocking fee" bullshit.
At this point I would consider suing them for fraud,
even if it costs more than I could ever hope to recover.
 I'd do it for the sheer satisfaction.

On another note.. to get the bad taste of AS&M out of my
mouth..

TTS was the other option I considered before purchasing
the AS&M bullshit. I've seen the TTS MasterTune software
(not the Pro version, just the single chip version) and
the screen is a lot like the Haltech's screen.  The data
is all labeled and in table format.  Not a bad piece of
workmanship for the $250 price tag.

There's a catch.. the TTS software only works on its own
binary image, that is provided.  Looks like TTS wrote
there own executable code for the ECM, and that code,
along with the corresponding data segment, makes up the
base binary prom image they provide.  So you can modify
the supplied image, but it will not recognize a stock
Delco prom image, or any other aftermarket chip makers
image.  It also means you are stuck with a single ECM
and displacement to work from.  I guess that's a
non-issue if you are only working with one FI system,
like an 86-89 TPI A4.

Supposedly the $2500 MasterTune Pro will work on stock
images and multiple ECM types.  I can fax you the TTS
brochure on the MasterTune Pro if you are interested.