? on Mr Hall Effect

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Nov 10 23:27:50 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Turner <MikeTurner at kemet.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998 5:55 PM
Subject: RE: ? on Mr Hall Effect

>Most current generation hall effect sensors have a magnet in the assembly.

This one is "magnetic" and so is the second I'll mention.

>The metal tooth being sensed alters the flux that the sensor sees from the
>embedded magnet. The sensing element itself detects a level of magnetic
>flux. Either you may have and sensor without the embedded magnet and need a
>magnetic source or you need something ferrous to sense with the existing
>magnet and sensor. The output should be static ie. if the tooth is present
>the output should be low and if the tooth is absent the output should be
>high. Too large a gap between the sensor and sensed object will also cause
>no change in output. Some sensors also use an open collector or open drain
>output and need a pull-up resistor on the output. I am using several Hall
>sensors to sense wheel rotation and have not seen the problem. Do you have
>a manufacturer and a part number? I think I can help here.

The first is Toyota and the label on the sensor says it's a
90919-05004,  also has a 029600-0060, also word denso.

Second sensor is off a v-6 Vortec (I think was 96 MY),  looks like a
10456532/10456542, on it are the numbers3058, and DR6572

Thanks
Bruce