TRACTION CONTROL

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 02:03:47 GMT 1998

Whoa!!!
Don't cut spark on a car with a converter.  You will melt it very quickly
(trust me I did it playing with an MSD two step).

Most OEM's use a combination of things to reduce torque output.  Secondary
throttle, brake application on spinning wheel, retarded timing and dropped
injector pulses (fuel cut).

Most OEM ecu's take the timing out very quickly, but are much slower to put
it back.  I don't think that retarding the timing would be enough to
eliminate traction problems on a high power vehicle.  On a low power
vehicle, it might do the trick.

There are several good SAE papers on traction control out there.  One
(942474) is on the BOSCH system for the Chrysler F1 engine.  They used a
rotating cylinder cut on fuel to control traction.  They were concerned with
wall wetting issues and crankshaft torsion vibrations so those were the 2
biggest concerns that led to fuel cut.  The ignition cut was ruled out
because of high EGT's with the fuel buring in the pipes and it wastes fuel.
Retarded timing was ruled out due to EGT being too high for the exhaust
valves.

Steve