TRACTION CONTROL

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu Nov 12 05:59:39 GMT 1998

A friend of mine has a Camaro F-body.  It has a defeatable traction
control that actually uses a servo of some sort to push the accellerater
up.  He tells me that he can feel it kick back.  He (like many owners of
such cars) likes to press the "defeat" button and burn rubber.

One of the German car companies (BMW, I think) uses a traction control
system to help control skidding in slippery (winter, mostly) conditions.

Mercedes uses a brake-actuated traction control system (part of ABS, I
would assume)) to slow down a wheel that loses traction.  This is for
off-road use.

Jeep mechanically does something similar in the transfer case and in each
differential with its Quadratrack II (tm) system.  Instead of stopping
one of the wheels, it employs a cluch between the axles (in the axle) or
between the driveshafts (in the transfer case).  When a difference in
speed is detected, the cluch is engaged, limiting the slip or locking the
axle or transfer case.

If you want to simply limit the power, you might want to consider
blocking the injecter pulses rather than the ignition pulses.  If you are
using multipoint injection, you can selectively give any cylinder a
breath of pure air rather than air-fuel mixture.  Do this every seventh,
fifth, or third pulse as you described, and you'll have the same effect
without burdening the cat with lots of raw fuel.

My Holley Pro-Jection system has a rev-limiter built in.  It works by
cutting the fuel when the speed gets too high (I have it set to 5300, I
think).  I have demonstrated it a few times.  It works well.  It just
sort of bounces off the top of the limit and doesn't tend to smell up the
place.

Ray Drouillard