setting ignition curves without dyno

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Thu Nov 12 21:42:23 GMT 1998

How about watching EGT closely? Shouldn't the optimum timing result
in the most work being delivered to the crank, the most heat energy
being converted to mechanical work, and thus the lowest EGT? I would
expect at least a *little* dip in EGTs near the optimum timing,
though I'm not betting you could measure it through the noise with
an EGT gauge. Also you'd have to be at steady state, including
thermally, etc, or else be pretty durn clever.

Anyway my understanding was that too much advance raised EGTs. Also
too much retard seems to cause glowing exhaust/turbo manifolds on
some motors I've heard about.

   Chris C.