setting ignition curves without dyno

Michael Farrugia mikefarr at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 11:15:56 GMT 1998

I do not think that just for setting the ignition advance you need to
know the real horse-power : all you need to know is the gain or loss
from a datum.  If you have an ECU which will tell you the speed of the
engine every say 5 millisecond and log it to a file, then you can get
the accelleration at every speed.  The accelleration is a direct
measuremnet of the power at that speed.  If you repeat this with verious
advance curves then you will get a good idea of which advance is giving
you the best acceleration.
Of course, for these tests to be successfull all other conditions should
remain the same ie throttle position and load.  For throttle position
full throttle can be used while for load a flat strech of road and no
wind are a must.
regards
michael

>For one of the more innovative and cheapest dyno solutions I have seen,
>check out what this guy has to offer:
>
>http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/dynokit.htm
>
>Basically it measures ignition spark over time.  Given transmission
gear,
>final drive ratios and vehicle weight you can calculate horsepower
using the
>same formulae a conventional dyno uses.  The software he has written
does
>just this.  Adjusting for drag can get you within a few HP of a chassis
>dyno.
>
>I haven't tried it out (I have a G-Tech) but I might since it looks
much
>easier and less finicky than the G-Tech.
>

>Regards,
>
>Barry

Sharpe
>> Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 1998 8:14 PM