Torque Converter Lock-Ups

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Nov 13 16:11:40 GMT 1998

Well,

I have a 93 Z28.  I know there is a way for the computer to request
lockup.  The lockup characteristics seem to be:

low throttle: 50mph+ in high gear.
wot: 95+mph in 3rd gear (about 4300 rpm)

My car at least (with a big cam) has difficulties with the low
throttle lockup.   I am currently disassembling the prom, and
hopefully can find where it controls things.  It looks like I need to
raise the low throttle part to about 60-65.

Also there is a electronic control to lockup things and it can be
manaully controlled with some aftermakert parts.  I was thinking that
In cases where the car computer cannnot control things someone could
rig a circuit to detect some various car parameters and decide when to
force a lockup.

Note that my car has a 4L60 tranny (basically a 700R4) and this is the
non-electronic tranny, the 94 f-bodies was when they started using
4l60E's, so all of my tranny is under mechanical control except for
the torque convertor.

		Roger

 On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 martin at mgass.demon.co.uk