Delco 16220371 ECU (Mercruiser 502 magnum MPI) EEprom

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 18:33:42 GMT 1998

--part0_910981951_boundary

aol lost it,,,its attatched

--part0_910981951_boundary

<HTML><FONT  SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D10>In a message dated 11/13/98 2:16:50 AM =
Pacific Standard Time, mwichstr at online.no writes:<BR>
<BR>
<< Subj:=09<B> Re: Delco 16220371 ECU (Mercruiser 502 magnum MPI) EEprom<=
/B><BR>
 Date:=0911/13/98 2:16:50 AM Pacific Standard Time<BR>
 From:=09mwichstr at online.no (Espen Hilde)<BR>
 Sender:=09owner-diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu<BR>
 Reply-to:=09diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu<BR>
 To:=09diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu<BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
 >  A friend of mine is prepairing for a dyno run in a superflow bench.<B=
R>
 >  The engine is a Mercruiser Magnum 502 MPI  1996model.The engine is<BR=

 equipped<BR>
 >  with a procharger kit.<BR>
 >  Thats a sentrifugal compressor  with a water to air intercooler, the<=

 only<BR>
 >  change to fuel/ingition is a rising rate<BR>
 >  fuel pressure regulator.The compressor is giving a modest 5 psi<BR>
 boost.The<BR>
 >  boost starts  from 3000rpm.<BR>
 >  We are going to strap the engine to the dyno with headers and have th=
en<BR>
 >  access to exhaust temp for <BR>
 >  each  cyl.   We can borrow a scan tool from mercruiser  (price 1000<B=

 usd.) ,<BR>
 >  but we want a scan tool that can be used for cars and other<BR>
 engines,maybe<BR>
 >  for a better price.Diacom?<BR>
 >  It would be nice to have access to the ecu , so we can alter the maps=
<BR>
 for<BR>
 >  ignition and fuel under boost.<BR>
 >  Is it anyone who have info about this DELCO ECU? There are several<BR=

 numbers<BR>
 >  attached to the ecu box:<BR>
 >       16220371<BR>
 >       Modell                860371ka00002699                    White =
tag<BR>
 >  :9456<BR>
 >  The box is just 13,5cm  times  10cm<BR>
 >  One multipoint connector on each side  , 32 pins each<BR>
 >  One connector in the wier harness to connect to the scantool : 10 pin=
s<BR>
 and<BR>
 >  6 is used. <BR>
 >  The efi system is MPI with MAP  and knock sensor. No ego .   Map sens=
or<BR>
 is<BR>
 >  :039-5160<BR>
 >  injectors:5467(difficult to see)  Ignition system is mercruiser HEI <=

 with a<BR>
 >  distributor.<BR>
 >  It would be nice if this ecu was the same as a much used car ecu.<BR>
 >  We need advice on what equipment we need to be able to alter this ecu=
.<BR>
 <BR>
 AND how to do it!.......<BR>
 <BR>
 >  Type of prom?<BR>
 >  E-prom burner?<BR>
 >  Eraser?<BR>
 >  Software?<BR>
 >  scantool?<BR>
 >  realtime modulator?<BR>
 >  Any input /ideas is appreciated <BR>
 >  Thanks <BR>
 >  Espen Hilde  <BR>
 >  <BR>
 >  Hi Espen,<BR>
 >       The Mercury Marine computer has a 512 byte EEprom(not 512k)...<B=

 The box is not possible to open, since it is a EEprom, is it possible to=
<BR>
 alter code without removing the chip?Or do we have to dig it out to read=
<BR>
 it?Is the pinouts on the side direct to the EE prom?Is using EEproms usu=
al<BR>
 in car ecus?I tought just aftermarket efi systems used it.How <BR>
 where you able to read the 512k...sorry  to bother with these details , =
I<BR>
 got to have it by a small spoon.  <BR>
 <BR>
AZ Speed & Marine (602-753-0208) has communication cables for sale that a=
llow you to download to the ECM via the scanner(aldl) port....you can fol=
low that back through the harness to get to the pinouts needed to do an E=
Eprom dump and if you really want to get into it you can dump the code fr=
om the 68hc11 derivative rom pack....I haven't done it but shouldn't be t=
oo difficult if this is the direction you want to go......<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
 what I<BR>
 > haven't been able to figure out is whether this is a compressed format=
 or<BR>
 if<BR>
 > 512 bytes is all they need since it is open loop and has very little<B=

 control<BR>
 > over the engine....the only cool feature I have seen on it is if it se=
es<BR>
 > enough knock not only does it remove timing it also enriches the fuel =
to<BR>
 cool<BR>
 > the chamber(about 1 air fuel ratio). As for the scanner...I have a cou=
ple<BR>
 of<BR>
 > new ones for $400.(US) with the 99 updates.  Rhinda(Diacom) makes the<=

 scanner<BR>
 > for Mercury and they do offer a laptop version as well but can't remem=
ber<BR>
 what<BR>
 > I paid for it.  From what I have seen the centrifugal setup you were<B=

 talking<BR>
 > about doesn't handle the fuel enrichment very well and hurts idle qual=
ity<BR>
 and<BR>
 > part throttle cruising because of correcting the mixture by increasing=
<BR>
 the<BR>
 > fuel pressure at all times then boost compensating above that.....let =
me<BR>
 know<BR>
 <BR>
 if this code in the ecu is very special , it is maybe difficult to use a=
 2<BR>
 bar MAP sensor,and calibrate for it.<BR>
 Maybe we have to stick with low boost and adjust at wot where we know th=
e<BR>
 boost is.<BR>
 <BR>
 > what you see,,,I am interested......AZ Speed & Marine does have the<BR=

 capacity<BR>
 > to alter the calibration in the ECU......I haven't spent much time<BR>
 looking at<BR>
 > the 512 byte file but think I figured out the rev limit and how to adj=
ust<BR>
 how<BR>
 > much fuel enrichment when the knock circuit is hit hard...but thats ab=
out<BR>
 > it.....That processor does not do double bar fuel or timing,,,,<BR>
 <BR>
 Double bar fuel and timing......whats that,what is the bennefits?<BR>
 <BR>
Double Bar(2 Bar) saying single bar gives you adjustability to 100 KPA (a=
tmospheric) and double gives you the range to go higher as in boost(somet=
hing like 250 KPA)<BR>
<BR>
 but the new 99<BR>
 > controller does,,,,bad thing is the 99 has a revolving checksum locati=
on <BR>
 <BR>
 what is a checksum needed for ?<BR>
 <BR>
 so<BR>
 > has been really tough to even get started with.....as far as I know <B=

 unless<BR>
 > you're GM or have some "backdoor" avenue to get the software, there is=
n't<BR>
 any<BR>
 > to be had,,,,,but again if you find some I am interested......btw the<=

 checksum<BR>
 > for your 512 is the 9496 on the outside of your ECU on that white<BR>
 tag...Anyway<BR>
 > hope that helps.<BR>
 <BR>
 Helped a lot , thanks  Carl<BR>