setting ignition curves without dyno

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Nov 13 23:48:52 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick <rick at mafb.org>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, November 13, 1998 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: setting ignition curves without dyno

>Bruce Plecan wrote:
>>Dynos are great for getting the cam events right. Well more prescisely
they
>>are great for doing everything but timing, and final mixtures.  They are
>>worth every penny for doing anything other then
>>timing, and final mixtures.  So if your buying dyno time for doing just
>>those two items, you're not getting your money's worth in MHO...
>
>Why do you say this?? what is the BEST way in your opinion to get the right
>timing down and final mixture??

Actual testing.  Bolt everything together, put it in the car, and tune it.
The only way to load the motor as the motor will be run is after the
installation.  Record the weather conditions, and make sure your
corrections for IAT/Bar (as/is used are correct) even.  Engine dyno
stuff is great for a starting point but, remember everything you do is
being optimized for only that use (running on that dyno).
   Yes, I get picky S---, about tune-up, that's just the way I am.  I've
done numerous (NA)engines at 100HP/L that went 100,000 miles with min wear,
ie, dress the valves+seats-rings-bearings, and go another 100,000....